Start with you! What is important in life?
At the end of my life, I want to look back and say I lived a whole life. You can experience what this world has to offer —all of its community, culture, and nature—and, hand on heart, say, “I’ve also been able to give back some of those things in return”.
A cohousing community can help you design and achieve this around what is important to you and the life you want to live. It is essential to start with you.
A community is where you can be your whole self without fear of judgement. A community is where you can share your gifts and receive them from others. A community is where people create change together and support each other through tough times. Finally, a community is where people find friends who are there for them no matter what life brings.
- You’re reading this, so you probably want to know the most important thing in life. The first thing I want to tell you is that it has nothing to do with money or possessions.
- Those things can be nice, but they aren’t a big deal in the grand scheme. What matters most is what makes your heart sing: what makes you feel alive? What do you love to do? What is your passion? What makes you happy?
- Don’t get me wrong—your gift isn’t something magical that will make everything perfect when it comes to being human. But what’s important here is that when we use our gifts well (and sometimes even when we don’t), we’re also helping others find their gifts!
- Your skills and what you are good at might be just what your neighbour or community needs. That is a gift; in return, you’ll get someone else to gift. It sounds so simple!
If we all brought our gifts and everyone knew what they were, then we are on the way to taking the load off our day-to-day life. Then, we would know who to turn to when things get tough.
What makes your life easier and better?
Ultimately, what makes your life easier and better is doing what you are good at and avoiding the things you aren’t. Unfortunately, doing anything you don’t like usually takes twice the amount of time, and it is never a pleasant experience!
We are all connected. But society and the pace of life mean we have become disconnected. We’re rushing around, trying to do everything ourselves, and it feels alien as humans. We are tribal. We work and live better when we are happy in our tribe. Helping others helps us feel good, and we feel valued.
You see when you show love and kindness toward another human being:
- You make their day better (and, in turn, make yours better too)
- You help them feel good about themselves
- And most importantly: We ALL benefit from this!
So how do you get this into your life?
It is difficult to answer this question in the context of your current life. It is essential first to know what you think is important to you; once you know this, you can bring value to others.
Our cohousing community programmes start with you, then the planet. Then we look at what you can afford:invest as well as location. With a group of like-minded people, you can create enormous value for yourself, others and the world by designing a community and a place to live that makes this a way of life, not something you hope or dream of.
If we work together, we can make life better for ourselves and others.
Join us. Spend the time on yourself first and then be part of a community of like-minded people and explore how this can be possible.
Help to spread the word about Better Places to Work. Follow, like and share our mission across social media.
Nathaniel Whitestone is a governance expert, OD/OT consultant, executive coach, and angel investor, committed to fostering Healthy Power in organizations. He thrives on unraveling complex systems, guiding leaders to innovate with integrity and playful revolution. His passion lies in seeding societal transformation towards empowerment and fairness.